Tuesday, July 18, 2006

New Best Friend

for that boy that dared to say and be so real. you dont know how huge your false confidence has been, i returned because you lied, if that makes any sense. hopefully one day, i will remember (even better, discover) your real name.

I coudn't help but notice
your thick wad of bills
how you tried to keep your cool
the authority you carry
the name you said isnt what they're shouting
or how popular you are with passing cars
I couldn't help but notice

I couldnt help but notice
that your'e just a little boy
that smile is of fear and nothing else
how homesick you are; waiting to return, back where you belong
Mabye its in Africa
maybe its in Florida
maybe its the loving arms behind you
maybe its the pleading, bleeding Jesus at your side

I couldn't help but notice...
and now I'll always remember

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace, Lahai. I did learn your real name. I wish that I had been less afraid of you, and that we could really have been friends. Your red hat, that's what I remember the most. Your brother still misses you. You had a huge impact on your friends and neighborhood, if you could only see the gaping hole you left behind. I heard that you were tough to the end. I always saw a toughness, but I thought it was a put-on, covering the fear. Sometimes it was, but in the heat, the real shit, when your life was hanging and you were about to die; they said you were still tough. That's brave.